China adds 2967 pesticides MRLs in the latest national food standard, most of which were for minor crops, animal-sourced commodities and imported food. China will accelerate pesticide dietary risk assessment based on local residue trials, the most recent toxicological and dietary data and 10,000 MRLs would be implemented by 2020.
On 15 Aug 2019, the National Health Commission, the Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Affairs(MoARA) and the State Administration of Market jointly issued the latest version of GB 2763-2019 and 2 methods for pesticide residue detection, which will take effect on 15 Feb 2020.
GB 2763-2019: National Food Safety Standard-Maximum Residue Limits for Pesticide in Food
GB 23200.116-2019: National Food Safety Standard- Determination of residues of organophosphorus pesticides and their metabolites in plant-sourced food(GC);
GB 23200.117-2019: National Food Safety Standard- Determination of residues of oxine-copper in plant-sourced food(HPLC);
MoARA introduced that 7107 MRLs for 483 pesticides in 356 food categories were included in GB 2763-2019 and the total numbers of MRLs surpassed the CAC (Codex Alimentarius Commission) standard for the first time. Compared to the previous version, the main features are as follows:
- Comprehensive Coverage: All pesticides registered in China have been developed with MRLs based on residue study and dietary risk assessment during pesticide registration and the historical problem of “pesticide approved in China has no MRL to support its usages”.
- Prohibited/Restricted Pesticides: 585 MRLs for 27 prohibited pesticides and 311 MRLs for 16 restricted pesticides were explicitly specified;
- Minor Crops: The number of MRLs for minor crops almost doubled to 1602 and 119 minor crops such as ginseng, waxberry and winter jujube have been newly added;
- Animal-Soured Commodities: 703 MRLs for 109 pesticides in 27 animal-sourced commodities have been established;
- Imported Commodities: 77 Pesticides used overseas but not yet registered in China have been developed with 1107 MRLs for imported commodities, mostly converted from CAC MRLs.
MoARA stresses that all MRLs were developed after a comprehensive risk assessment based on local residual trials, dietary dada of Chinese consumers, as well as the toxicological data and the Ministry is striving to develop more pesticide MRLs and testing methods and the total number would be 10,000 by 2020.
- MoARA’s News Release (in Chinese)
- Pesticide Dietary/Residue Risk Assessment and MRL Development in China
Something Wrong? At Chemlinked we do our utmost to provide you with accurate information. However sometimes errors slip under the radar, we’re only human. That’s where you our vigilant reader come in! If you notice any errors contact us on: firstname.lastname@example.org Budding Journalist ? Send us your news on: email@example.com